Buy Organic nutmeg known as the aromatic spice.
Shop organic Nutmeg that is used not only for culinary purposes but for medicinal and health purposes as well. It is a commonly used spice in cuisines around the world. The nutmeg kernel is dried for several days or even weeks under the hot sun. Once dried, the kernels are cracked opened.
The flavour of nutmeg is best savoured when grated freshly on the food rather than using the powdered version.Nutmeg butter and nutmeg essential oil is extracted from this.
Nutmeg Nutritional and Health Benefits
The Health benefits of organic nutmeg are numerous, as it contains vitamin B6, folate, copper,magnesium, dietary fibre, thiamine and flavonoid.
Traditionally, nutmeg has been used for many medicinal and health purposes.
- Nutmeg and honey are combined to form a paste that helps calm an upset stomach, improve digestion and deal with irritable bowel syndrome and dirroehia.
- Nutmeg can deal with anxiety. Add grated nutmeg to warm milk to help you relax and fall asleep.
- The ingredient, myristicin, helps to stimulate our brains and may help improve memory power.
- Nutmeg is known to detoxify the liver.
Culinary Uses and Tips
- Nutmeg is used to flavour not only savoury dishes but sweet ones too.
It is a vital ingredient in many spice mixes. Combined with cinnamon, it is used to add flavour to desserts and sweet dishes .
- It is commonly used to flavour baked dishes, puddings, confections, sweet potatoes, meats, sausages, sauces and vegetables.
- Nutmeg tastes better with starchy and creamy foods. Add freshly grated nutmeg to butter-rich mashed potatoes, rice puddings, bread and butter pudding, custards and custard tarts.
- Spice up your baking by adding nutmeg to gingerbread , muffins or chocolate and fruit cakes.Nutmeg retains much of its appeal.
The whole nutmeg kernel can stay for years. However, ground nutmeg powder goes stale very fast.
Freezing and refrigeration can also be done but it is not the ideal way, as moisture may promote the growth of mold.
- Store in an airtight container.
- Store in a cool, dry place. Keep away from direct sunlight and fire.