In a world driven by food and drink with high dosages of white sugars, artificial sugars and the sort, most people are going back to their roots and seeking out healthier, natural alternatives to incorporate into their diets. The Earth Reserve is happy to introduce you to a traditional and natural alternative – Liquid Jaggery!
WHY CHOOSE JAGGERY OVER REFINED SUGAR?
Known as "Gur" in Hindi, 'Bellam' in Telugu, 'Vellam' in Tamil, 'Sharkara' in Malayalam, 'Bella' in Kannada, and 'Gul' in Marathi. Jaggery is a concentrated sugar that is obtained from sugarcane juice and is rich in molasses. The colour of jaggery can vary between a light brown to a dark brown depending upon its molasses content.
Popularly, it is known as a “medicinal sugar” and is nutritionally and aesthetically comparable with honey. Lately, however it is being preferred over honey by those attempting to eat in sustainable and cruelty-free ways.
- It has been used as a healer in Ayurvedic medicine for nearly over three thousand years.
- While refined sugar consists of glucose and fructose, jaggery contains glucose and sucrose.
- Refined sugar lacks all the minerals and vitamins that are present in jaggery.
- The mineral content of jaggery comprises of calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, potassium and iron and small hints of zinc and copper as well.
- The vitamin composition includes folic acid and B-complex vitamins which makes jaggery a naturally occurring source and reserve for energy.
- Liquid jaggery on the other hand is a golden syrup obtained from concentrating sugarcane after the clarification process for making solid jaggery, retaining the decadent and delicious treacle of molasses.
IS IT TRULY NATURAL?
The thick, dark liquid is usually made up of one ingredient alone – just pure sugarcane like our ancestors would have it! Its rich and moist texture and consistency provides an earthy aroma and bite. All natural liquid jaggery is also homemade and does not contain any added flavours, preservatives, or taste enhancers.
WHAT ARE ITS HEALTH BENEFITS?
The health benefits of jaggery are innumerable. Jaggery in all its forms is rich in many vital minerals, vitamins, and antioxidants.
- The natural ingredient is a blood purifier.
- Jaggery detoxes the liver, helps cleanse harmful toxins and reduces the strain on the liver.
- An immunity booster, loaded with minerals such as zinc and selenium that help prevent free-radical damage, it can help the body ward off colds and coughs and other flu-like symptoms by creating a warming effect or heat in the body.
- Jaggery cleanses the body by cleaning the respiratory tract, stomach, and food pipe. It boosts intestinal health due its high magnesium content
- It can help ease menstrual pain, and aids in combating symptoms of menstrual pain by releasing endorphins.
- Jaggery is rich in iron and folate which can aid in the prevention of anaemia by maintaining haemoglobin levels
- The natural cane sugar activates the digestive enzymes in the body and helps stimulate bowel movement and can help prevent and relieve constipation and irritable bowels.
It can cool the stomach by maintaining body temperature and is often recommended to be had with cold water as sherbet in the summer months.
NOW, WHY CHOOSE LIQUID JAGGERY OVER REGULAR JAGGERY?
Liquid jaggery has a range of conveniences over regular, solid form of jaggery.
- For one, it is easier to use. This great natural source of carbohydrate can be consumed just as a spoonful or can be lathered onto toasts, parathas, drizzled over a bowl of fruit or dipped into with cookies or biscuits.
- It is also a great vegan and sustainable alternative to honey and an affordable alternative to maple syrup to drizzle onto your waffles and pancakes.
- It dissolves greatly into your daily cup of coffee, tea or milk and can easily be blended into shakes and smoothies.
- It is also incredibly easy to use to incorporate into curries, salad dressings and baked goods.
Jaggery is a great natural alternative to refined sugar and artificial sweeteners. When this traditional, rich and delicious liquid gold product is being ethically and organically sourced, made locally by hand and can be sent directly to your doorstep, what are you waiting for?